As the weather cools, many families turn to portable heaters to warm their bedrooms and living rooms. When used properly, these heaters do a great job at providing warmth. However, each year a number of unnecessary fires occur because the heater’s instructions were not properly followed. For example, according to this recent news story, the Phoenix Fire Department responds to up to 40 house fires each winter caused by portable heaters.
To keep you safe and warm, AHAM recommends the following safety tips:
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels before using your portable electric heater.
- DO NOT leave operating heater unattended and always unplug heater when not in use.
- DO NOT use your heater with a power strip or extension cord. Overheating of a power strip or extension cord could result in a fire.
- String out cords on top of area rugs or carpeting. Placing anything, including furniture, on top of the cord may damage it.
- Keep combustible materials, such as furniture, pillows, bedding, papers, clothes and curtains at least three feet from the front of the heater and away from the sides and rear. DO NOT block heater’s air intake or exhaust source.
To view more safety tips, visit AHAM’s Heater Safety website. Additionally, you may order copies of AHAM’s Portable Electric Heater Safety brochure by clicking here. Copies are available in both English and Spanish. AHAM also has a variety of other fire safety brochures, including clothes dryer safety and Recipe for Safe Cooking. There is no shipping charge for orders of 250 or less. A nominal shipping fee is charged for larger orders.